Creatively packaged and colorfully coated, many potentially harmful household items look identical to candy or popular fruit drinks. But, if you can’t tell the difference, how will your kids?
Jordan almonds are a deliciously sweet and colorful snack. From bright yellow to robin’s egg blue, this treat comes in a variety of colors. Many medications like divalproex, an anti-seizure medication, look similar to this popular snack but can cause alarming side effects if ingested, including stomach pain and liver damage. For young children, the side effects can be even more severe. Always keep medications stored up high and out of reach.
Sprinkles are a fun way to jazz up cupcakes, cookies, and other desserts. With an assortment of colors, shapes, and flavors available, kids love using this confectionery decoration on sweet treats. A lot of potentially harmful products can be confused with sprinkles, including aquarium gravel and lawn fertilizer. Each year, more than 5,000 accidental fertilizer poisoning cases are reported in children under 5 years of age. Always store fertilizer and pebbles out of kids’ reach.
laundry detergent SUDs
cherry hard candies
From root beer to cinnamon, hard candies come in an array of fun flavors. Wrapped in cellophane, these candies can be difficult to discern from potentially harmful household cleaning products, such as laundry detergent SUDs. These colorful packets can be enticing to toddlers and young children, and the effects of ingestion can be harmful and, in some cases, fatal. Ingesting the contents can result in coma, cardiac arrest, and even death in young children. Keep all laundry items high off the ground and in secure packaging, like Child-Guard™.
blue flavored sports drink
window washing fluid
Popular sports drinks come in a multitude of fruity flavors and bright colors. These refreshing drinks are a perpetual favorite for children, but can be easily confused with potent vehicle and household products. Bright blue in hue, window washing fluid and household window spray can look similar to blue sports drinks. If in unmarked bottles, these products can be a welcome mat for danger with small children. Always keep cleaning agents and household products in their original containers and away from small children.
There’s no use crying over spilled milk, but it may be worth crying over spilled paint. The two liquids are hard to differentiate at first sight, but ingesting certain types of paint can induce serious health consequences. Solvent- and oil-based paints can be especially harmful if inhaled or ingested by small children. These types of paint can cause stomach pain and throat irritation if swallowed.
Adults and children alike go crazy for rich, creamy frosting, as it’s the perfect way to top off a decadent dessert. Frosting comes in every imaginable color, especially when homemade. Various personal care products, like lotions and cosmetics have a similar texture and appearance as frosting. In fact, each year, Poison Control receives more calls involving exposure to cosmetics and personal care products than any other category, including cleaning supplies and painkillers. Always store cosmetics and personal care items in upper cabinets and shelves out of reach of children.
Fruit punch is a backyard and lunchroom staple, loved by kids of any age for its fruity flavor and resulting signature red mustaches. Less identifiable by small kids is antifreeze. While similar in color, the popular drink and the automobile fluid have very different effects on the body if swallowed. Antifreeze contains ethylene glycol, a colorless, odorless, slightly sweet liquid. Even the smallest amount of ethylene glycol, when ingested, can cause serious side effects such as cardiac arrhythmia and even death. Always keep antifreeze labeled properly and stored away from little ones.
Natural, sweet, and wholesome, honey is the perfect addition to your child’s toast, cereal, or yogurt. While honey is a great-tasting treat desired by youngsters, there are substances of similar color and consistency that are anything but sweet to eat. Motor oil, for example, has a similar rich yellow color, but can be hazardous to children if ingested. Motor oil contains hydrocarbon, which can cause stomach upset if ingested, and dizziness, fever, chills, and more if inhaled. Be sure to keep fuels, oils, polishes, and cleaners high off the ground and in their original containers to reduce the risk of accidental exposure.
Whether your kids are young or old, safety is always a concern. Our child-resistant slider, Child-Guard® helps keep potentially dangerous household items out of reach of the smallest members of your family. We work hard to prevent potentially harmful products from falling into the wrong hands.
What items would you like to see with the child-resistant slider? Share your thoughts with us on Facebook and Twitter using the hashtag #guardit.
For more information on hazardous items, accidental poisonings, and how you can prevent ingestions from occurring, visit Poison Control or call 1-800-222-1222.
Anyone who has ever taken care of a toddler for more than an hour knows danger lurks around every corner and hides in every cupboard and medicine cabinet.